Texas Poker Supply banner Poker DIY banner Home Poker Tourney Forums
* How To Host a Poker Tournament
Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email? Mar 01, 2017 at 16:05
Login
Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?
Username:
Password:

^ Login with username, password and session length

Use the arrows at the
top to close this sidebar

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to wash a deck of cards  (Read 13047 times)
nutN2Lewz
Administrator
Regular

« on: Jun 01, 2007 at 01:21 »

How to wash a deck of cards
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2007 at 21:48 by nutN2Lewz » Logged
William
Regular

Bloody Marvellous

« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2010 at 21:38 »

How often should you wash the cards?

I've been watching the Poker After Dark series again, and they seem to do it every hand.

Regan states that you should straighten the deck with the cards facing the dealer, but I seem to recall they should be facing away from the dealer.

I'll play you in any game you name for any amount you can count.
Regular

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2010 at 14:43 »

I've been watching the Poker After Dark series again, and they seem to do it every hand.

Regan states that you should straighten the deck with the cards facing the dealer, but I seem to recall they should be facing away from the dealer.

yes, after every hand.

and yes, facing away from the dealer so they won't know where certain cards are situated in the deck - what mechanics would need to know.
sleepyEDB
Player

*yawn*

« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2010 at 14:51 »

Why pick them up at all?  Once you put the top card on the bottom, is it really that hard to to continue straightening them into a single stack as they lay face-down on the table?

sleepy

'The road of life is rocky and you may stumble too.  So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you.'  -- Bob Marley
William
Regular

Bloody Marvellous

« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2010 at 16:59 »

yes, after every hand.

and yes, facing away from the dealer so they won't know where certain cards are situated in the deck - what mechanics would need to know.

Thanks Smiley
Never did that before, only with a fresh deck. I'll start washing the cards every hand from now on Smiley

Regular

« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2010 at 18:43 »

a couple seconds long wash is enough - so you can make sure there are no potential boxed cards.
Nerre
Regular

« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2010 at 01:35 »

And it's done as part of picking the muck pile up and collecting the board cards.

When the pot is awarded you have a muck pile (possibly with a remaining stub on top), the board cards and the winning hand still on the table.

Turn over the winning hand and the board cards, pull the muck pile into the middle of the table, wash for a second or two and then start the shuffle.

The washing is really a part of the shuffle. So the standard shuffle isn't riffle-riffle-strip-riffle-cut but wash-riffle-riffle-strip-riffle-cut.
Astra
« Reply #7 on: Apr 15, 2011 at 15:24 »

When I start washing like that I always drop a few cards down on the floor )
William
Regular

Bloody Marvellous

« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2011 at 01:22 »

Get a table(top) with a rail

Astra
« Reply #9 on: Apr 19, 2011 at 13:53 »

Get a table(top) with a rail
Yeah I know but I think I need to learn doing it more like a professional even without rails.
Anticipant
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011 at 04:33 »

Washing

1 Wash the cards by first making sure they are all face down on the table.

2 Mix the cards up on the table using both hands.

3 Square the cards back up by gathering them back together into a pile. Gather the pile of cards and set them on edge.Then use your thumb in a rolling motion to roll the cards towards the table while stuffing them into a pile in a simultaneous motion.

bluegarage
Player

« Reply #11 on: Apr 16, 2012 at 17:29 »

Regan is right, but that is assuming your using a dedicated dealer who is not playing.  Common sense dictates that in a rotating deal game the deck should face away from the dealer.

Martini
Regular

« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2012 at 20:26 »

The reason for having the dealer face the cards away is so that s/he cannot see the fronts which would allow for easier manipulation of the deck. Yes, it means that the other players can see the cards but that is before the riffles and cuts that the dealer performs. Being able to see the faces is bad but being able to see the faces and controlling the deck is worse.

(not a real alcoholic beverage)
Pages: [1]
Print
Home Poker Tourney Forums  |  Poker Rules  |  How To Shuffle  |  Topic: How to wash a deck of cards