Texas Poker Supply banner Poker DIY banner Home Poker Tourney Forums
* How To Host a Poker Tournament
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email? Sep 20, 2017 at 03:18
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
:
:

^ 

Use the arrows at the
top to close this sidebar

: [1]
: Hand selection in 7 card stud  ( 191 )
luckystraights
Regular
: 3161

« : Aug 11, 2017 at 11:19 »

In full tables, or mostly full tables, cash format.

I'm tending to avoid middle connected cards like 6, 7, 8 and ussually fold these out. I'd just like an opinion on my thought process with these sort of hands that can make medium strength straights and flushes because I'm wondering if I'm thinking too much like I used to try and play Hi/Lo where I'd favor very high cards or very low cards. That being said, I see these medium strength connectors as making me the wrost flush, worst straight; so I'm either winning a small pot from someone with worse, or I'm potentially forced to fold the best hand against aggression.

I'm playing 1k/2k play money.

Wedge Rock
Global Moderator
Regular
: 9545

CC&GTCC # R-7604

« #1 : Aug 11, 2017 at 13:52 »

I'm not a huge fan of folding middle connected draws as a basic strategy.  Stud is much less about the strength of your hand and much more about the strength of others' hands.  You have to keep track of what's been folded that could help you or your opponent.

Middle connected cards that don't fill up can still appear as if they did if you are betting it as such, especially against opponents drawing to weaker hands.  If you are getting check-raised, you should re-evaluate.  But until I get different info, I am representing a made hand and betting it as such.

EDIT: clarity
« : Aug 14, 2017 at 11:28 Wedge Rock »

Wedge Rock (not a real rock)

Guilty of over-using ellipses...
luckystraights
Regular

« #2 : Aug 11, 2017 at 15:44 »

I'm paying a lot of attention to my opponents holdings, what cards are dead and such; just cautious of drawing to a hand which could still be behind when I hit.

It did strike me though that I might be folding too much with those sort of holdings thouhg. I'll try playing some of them and see how I do, thanks.
Jambine
Global Moderator
Regular
: 5574

My Passion

« #3 : Aug 12, 2017 at 10:58 »

I'm not a huge fan of folding middle connected draws as a basic strategy.  Stud is much less about the strength of your hand and much more about the strength of others' hands.  You have to keep track of what's been folded that could help you or your opponent.

Middle connected cards that don't fill up can still appear that way if you are betting it as such, especially against opponents drawing to weaker hands.  If you are getting check-raised, you should re-evaluate.  But until I get different info, I am representing a made hand and betting it as such.

Got to agree.  7 stud is a drawing game.  Don't give up on good draws, especially when they are showing.  If you're waiting to roll up a set, you won't play many hands

Cash game at Three Creek Ranch
luckystraights
Regular

« #4 : Aug 13, 2017 at 18:34 »

Middle connected cards that don't fill up can still appear that way if you are betting it as such, especially against opponents drawing to weaker hands.  If you are getting check-raised, you should re-evaluate.  But until I get different info, I am representing a made hand and betting it as such.

Got to agree.  7 stud is a drawing game.  Don't give up on good draws, especially when they are showing.  If you're waiting to roll up a set, you won't play many hands

I used to play razz; are doing now actually, and I think my leak in that was that I wouldn't be tight enough early... perhaps I've over adjusted; if I get into some good examples, I'll post some HH's.
: [1]
Home Poker Tourney Forums  |  General Poker Discussion  |  Poker Strategy & Skills  |  Topic: Hand selection in 7 card stud