Texas Poker Supply banner Poker DIY banner Home Poker Tourney Forums
* How To Host a Poker Tournament
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email? Aug 21, 2017 at 19:41
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
:
:

^ 

Use the arrows at the
top to close this sidebar

: [1]
: Subs eligible for the Championship  ( 450 )
Wedge Rock
Global Moderator
Regular
: 9543

CC&GTCC # R-7604

« : May 24, 2017 at 14:09 »

Our rules state that 10% of the buyins for each of 11 events are raked for the Championship.

They also state that the Championship is only open to regular players (not subs).  The rationale is that the regulars are the ones contributing the most to the rakes.  But this also excludes subs who may play in a significant number of events; in our league, a fair number of the current regulars were subs at one time.  And subs are necessary to fill seats if a tournament falls on a bad weekend.

So I proposed this change to try and balance the two issues:

Currently
Last year's season rakes were $895.  The Championship (9 players) is $100 to enter.  So the prize pool is $900 + $895 = $1,795.

First place gets 54.5%, second place gets 27.3% and third place gets 18.2%.  All prizes are rounded to the nearest $5.

1st place: $1795 x .545 = $980
2nd place: $1795 x .273 = $490
3rd place: $1795 x .182 = $325

Proposed change
My suggestion is to pay the same percentage of the $900 Championship buyin, but to multiply the season rakes by the number of events you play in.  This encourages regulars to play as many events as possible.  It also allows subs to play in the Championship but prevents them from hitting and running a few events and being able to collect on the season rakes when they didn't pay much in to them.

With this change in place, the final payouts would have been reduced as follows for last season:

1st place: ($900 x .545) + ($895 x 9/11 x .545) = $890 ($90 less)
2nd place: ($900 x .273) + ($895 x 10/11 x .273) = $445 ($45 less)
3rd place: ($900 x .182) + ($895 x 9/11 x .182) = $310 ($15 less)

The leftover amount can either be rolled over to the next season, or can be used to offset league expenses (trophies, website, banners, etc.).

Setting aside the issue of whether the leftover constitutes a rake, what are your thoughts?

Wedge Rock (not a real rock)

Guilty of over-using ellipses...
Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular
: 13474

« #1 : May 24, 2017 at 15:45 »

I wouldn't care one way or the other. I think technically it would be a rake. Isn't "all" buy in money supposed to be paid out?

The Lions will be the death of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wedge Rock
Global Moderator
Regular

CC&GTCC # R-7604

« #2 : May 24, 2017 at 15:52 »

I wouldn't care one way or the other.

The player finishing in first would have gotten $90 less if this rule was in place, but he missed two tournaments, the buyins for which were likely $40 each, so the difference is really $10.  $5 for second place and third place loses less than the two missed events would have cost him.  Not much difference for regulars, but if someone is comfortable with their points and sitting on the fence for Event 11, this rule might get them to come out.

Azcat is certain that a part-time player will never make the Top 9 and therefore sit in the Championship (esp. now that there is no Qualifier tournament).  I think Kevin A. could cash in 5 events, winning 3 and make the final 9.  Last year, it only took 30.48 points to hit 9th place.  Kevin subbed one event and already earned 9.19 points (and it could have been higher if he would have played it out instead of chopping heads up).

I think technically it would be a rake. Isn't "all" buy in money supposed to be paid out?

Setting aside the issue of whether the leftover constitutes a rake, what are your thoughts?
« : May 24, 2017 at 15:54 Wedge Rock »

Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular
: 13474

« #3 : May 24, 2017 at 16:18 »

It sounds fine. I still prefer the way it was done in the past. If a sub only plays in three or four games and crushes it and makes the championship game then so be it. The rest of us should have played better.

You guys run a great league. I'm sure all decisions made will benefit the league as a whole.

My only complaint is that there is too many damn NLHE tourney's.

The Lions will be the death of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wedge Rock
Global Moderator
Regular

CC&GTCC # R-7604

« #4 : May 24, 2017 at 17:59 »

Doesn't seem to be much traction in the brain trust for my suggestion, so it will probably stay the way it is.

Jambine
Global Moderator
Regular
: 5574

My Passion

« #5 : May 24, 2017 at 22:21 »

Doesn't seem to be much traction in the brain trust for my suggestion, so it will probably stay the way it is.

Happens to me all the time

Cash game at Three Creek Ranch
: [1]
Home Poker Tourney Forums  |  Poker Leagues  |  Poker League Rules & Points Systems  |  Topic: Subs eligible for the Championship