Texas Poker Supply banner Poker DIY banner Home Poker Tourney Forums
* How To Host a Poker Tournament
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email? Aug 18, 2017 at 19:49
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
:
:

^ 

Use the arrows at the
top to close this sidebar

: [1]
: Help a new poker hoster  ( 1804 )
jonny5
Player
: 6

« : Apr 26, 2017 at 11:12 »

My brain is having a hard time working out why when i set up a game Its a T1000 but our blinds start at 1/2. Everything i read seems to indicate i should be at T100 with those blinds, or play T1000 at 10/20.

We usually have a smaller group 5 players. My chip set is also being pieced together slowly. currently at 398 chips.

144 white
60 blue
65 green
64 red
65 black

Am i missing something in how i understand blinds to T number ratio here? Theres no problems with our games I'm just confused. Seems like if only gave out T100 chips it would be a very short game with very few chips. Am i wrong?

Thanks!

Confused!
Dr. Neau
Regular
: 9678

Dr. Neau is a player of the pokers

« #1 : Apr 26, 2017 at 11:25 »

There's a lot of advice here on structures, chip values and such.  I'll just say this.

Chip values are mostly arbitrary.  Someone buys into a home tournament, pays $20 and gets T100,000 in chips?  Another home tournament you go to has a buy-in of $20 and you get T1,000?  WTH?!?

Here's what matters:
- The blind structure is set up so that the tournament ends after a predictable amount of time.  This is under your control based on the number of players, the starting stack size per player and the blinds.  You can expect the tournament to end when the big blind reaches approximately 6% (give or take a few percentage points) of the chips in play.  So, if you have 10 players and each gets T1,000, the tournament will probably end when the big blind is 600.  Or maybe the level before that, or maybe the level after it.
- The duration of each level should be long enough so that each person gets the BB at that level at least once.  15-20 minutes is a good starting point.
- The % increase from level to level should be consistent as possible throughout the tournament.

So, what should the starting blinds be?  It depends on the starting stacks, how long you want the tournament to be and how aggressive you want the increases from level to level to be.

Also, if you start them too low (like 1/2 with a T10,000 starting stack), people will feel like it's pointless.  If you start them too high (like 100/200 with a T1,000 starting stack), it'll feel like a luck fest.

(not a real doctor)

Concentrate on winning your tournament...let Dr. Neau manage it.

http://drneau.com
jonny5
Player

« #2 : Apr 26, 2017 at 12:22 »

That makes sense. Thank you. The game seems to play fine starting at 1/2 but i could see how it may be too small for some.

The only difference is a slower, gentler start to the game, right?

My chip values are lower than most use too 1,5,10,25,50. My reasoning behind this is so way we can have all 5 colors in play at once and have a larger number of chips per player.

I'm using an app to determin chip distribution. For a 5 player game - T1000 it gives the following:

25 x $1
11 x $5
12 x $10
10 x $25
11 x $50

Blinds start 1/2 and go up once per orbit in standard way.

Given my lower chip value, does that explain why the game works when starting at 1/2 vs 10/20? Or is just preference.

Thanks again for the input. Learning a lot!
Dr. Neau
Regular

« #3 : Apr 26, 2017 at 13:49 »

If this is no-limit, I'd say starting at 1/2 with T1,000 stacks is no problem.  I've had people bust out in situations like that.  Heck, the WSOP main event stacks start at 75-150 with T50,000 stacks.  That's almost exactly the same ratio.

Regarding the once per orbit raise: I strongly suggest going to time-based blind raises.  With once per orbit, you have no control over when it ends.

Also, if your chips are not denominated, I'd go with these values to be more standard:
White: $1
Red: $5
Green: $25
Black: $100

In a NL game, having one chip value that is only 2x another is kind of a waste.

(not a real doctor)

jonny5
Player

« #4 : Apr 26, 2017 at 14:51 »

It is NL so thanks, that's great info.

We typically do raise every 20/30 mins but thought once per orbit would make it somehow more fair, or easier, but you are absolutely right, I wouldn't have any control.

Chips are not denominated. I will mention the 10 and 50 chips being a waste.

You would recommend: - T5000 - 1, 5, 25, 100, 500 - blinds still starting 1/2.

25 x $1
10 x $5
9 x $25
7 x $100
8 x $500

If we don't start with blinds at 1/2 and go straight to 10/20 theres no need for $1 chips ? This is where my mind starts going in circles. Hope my stupidity isn't driving you crazy. I appreciate the help!
Dr. Neau
Regular

« #5 : Apr 26, 2017 at 15:53 »

Right.  As soon as a chip value is no longer required, it's time for chip exchange.

And the key with starting stacks is there should be enough of each chip so that you aren't having to constantly make change from each other.

(not a real doctor)

Wedge Rock
Global Moderator
Regular
: 9541

CC&GTCC # R-7604

« #6 : Apr 26, 2017 at 17:25 »

Step 1: Find a blind structure
Step 2: Establish a starting stack for that structure
Step 3: Build a chipset to accommodate your tournament (based on number of players, starting stack, freezeout/rebuy, etc.)

Its alot harder if you try to shoehorn a blind structure and/or starting stack into a chipset.

FYI, when I first started running tournaments 10+ years ago, I thought it would be a good thing to cut the blinds before the first break in half so that no one drove out to my house, got busted early, and had to drive home...  Turned out that was not such a great idea.  Now that our blind structure is refined, we actually shorten the initial blinds and make the middle of the tournament longer so players get more play time when the blinds actually matter.

Having all 5 colors in play is not really desirable.  Trust me.  I shoot for 30-40 chips in the starting stack.  Too many chips get unwieldy, especially as players get eliminated.  But as players get eliminated and blinds increase so chips aren't needed (as Neau said), color them up and get them off the table.

As Dr. Neau said, I think you're better off moving the blinds up based on time rather than orbit.  If you do it based on orbit, the same person will always be the button when the blinds first go up, and likewise the same person would always be the button on the last hand of a blind level.  That could give someone an advantage.

Also, good advice by Dr. Neau in setting your chip values 4x-5x the previous chip value (1-5-25-100) as opposed to a slower progression of 1-5-10-25-50.  Sometimes, the bottom end requires a 2x jump, but if possible, you should try for 4x or 5x jumps.

My advice would be pick a blind structure you find here rather than create your own.  You can tweak it if necessary, but the blind schedules here are tried and true.  Once you have a blind schedule, choose your starting stack.  Then see if you can handle it with your chipstack.  If you can't, order more chips.

Good luck!

Wedge Rock (not a real rock)

Guilty of over-using ellipses...
jonny5
Player

« #7 : Apr 27, 2017 at 11:01 »

That's exactly what I've done. Start with my chip count, try use as many as i can then make a blind schedule based on that.

Would you start with 3 colors or 4 ? Being limited by my chip count currently i felt like i had to include the 500 chips off the bat to give players enough equity.

When i look at T1000 blind scheduled they all start a 10/20 - It seems logical to me to start at 1/2 otherwise the 1 and 5 chips are pointless right?

Dr. Neau
Regular

« #8 : Apr 27, 2017 at 14:44 »

To some extent, how many different colors start out in play is going to be dictated by your available chips, the starting blinds and the starting stack value.

(not a real doctor)

tore
Player
: 53

« #9 : Apr 28, 2017 at 23:21 »

When i look at T1000 blind scheduled they all start a 10/20 - It seems logical to me to start at 1/2 otherwise the 1 and 5 chips are pointless right?

It seems like you are placing a bit to much weight on the "HTP structures". In those structures everyone starts with 50 big blinds (for example T1000 starting at 10/20), which is fine if you want to have several turbo tournaments in one night. Compare this to the 500 big blinds you start with in your tournaments. Personally, I think between 100 and 200 is sufficient. You could use the HTP structure for T1000 but with T2000 or T4000 starting stacks, which would give everyone 100 or 200 big blinds. Or remove a zero and you'll get a T200 or T400 starting at 1/2.

I agree with Wedge Rock that you shouldn't spend too much time playing ultra deep, if you drop from 500 BBs to 1-200 BBs you can allocate more time for the midgame. If you all really want to play deep I recommend throwing in some cashgames.

If you haven't already, I recommend looking through some of these posts, where in my view you can find better structures:
http://forums.homepokertourney.com/index.php/board,40.0.html

Regarding chips, I agree that you shouldn't have chips that are worth 2X another chip. An exception is the 500 and 1000 chips, because those values are standard and a 2000 or 2500 chip would be a bit unnatural.

Although standards are good to follow, it's not vital in case of colors. Pick the denominations you want and assign them a color based on how many chips you have and need of each denomination. If you want to use 1 as the lowest chip then I agree with the doctor that you should use the standard colors.
Personally I like using T25 as the lowest value, so I use 25s, 100s, 500s, and 1000s. For larger tournaments 5000s and sometimes 25000s needed. In this case the whites and reds need to be something else then 1 and 5.
« : Apr 28, 2017 at 23:28 tore »

(not really torn)
Wedge Rock
Global Moderator
Regular

CC&GTCC # R-7604

« #10 : May 02, 2017 at 16:17 »

Would you start with 3 colors or 4 ?

I wouldn't worry as much about how many colors are on the table at once, more important is that you have a workable starting stack (30ish to 40ish chips) and that you have enough big denom chips to 1.) color out smaller denoms when the blinds make them unnecessary and 2.) accomodate rebuys (if you choose to do a rebuy tournament).

All this discussion seems confusing in the abstract (and its all been good advice), but once you have hosted a tournament, it will make a lot more sense.  If your players have never really played in a well-organized tournament, then most of it will go un-noticed.  That's good because then you can make improvements without them realizing anything was wrong.  Even if you have experienced tournament players, they may be willing to overlook the details (if they are good friends, if the field is juicy, etc. -- I played in a really poorly run tournament with inferior equipment for a couple years because they were such bad players...).

Do you best, come back here and figure out what you could have done better.  Make changes.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

Once you have a routine down, you could run a ten-table tournament (or more) applying the same principles and it will go smoothly and professionally.

Jambine
Global Moderator
Regular
: 5574

My Passion

« #11 : May 03, 2017 at 10:50 »

....All this discussion seems confusing in the abstract (and its all been good advice), but once you have hosted a tournament, it will make a lot more sense......

^That^

Cash game at Three Creek Ranch
Wedge Rock
Global Moderator
Regular

CC&GTCC # R-7604

« #12 : May 03, 2017 at 14:29 »

Regarding chips, I agree that you shouldn't have chips that are worth 2X another chip. An exception is the 500 and 1000 chips, because those values are standard and a 2000 or 2500 chip would be a bit unnatural.

Saw this on Ryan Riess' Twitter feed and thought of this thread...

Even the Poker Stars Championship 25k event in Monte Carlo uses a T500 and a T1000....

;)
« : May 03, 2017 at 14:34 Wedge Rock »

jonny5
Player

« #13 : May 04, 2017 at 16:35 »

Thats everyone. I think i've settled on set up that meets everyones critera, including mine of course.

T1000

20 x $1
11 x $5
9   x $25
7   x $100

Leave out $500 for color ups later on as needed.

Ideally a 3 hour game as we start late. Blinds go up every 30, its what we usually play, we're a small, fairly slow group. 5 -6 players, smoke breaks etc. Its aggressive but the tourney is short so it has to keep things moving.

BLINDS:

1/2
3/6
6/12
15/30
40/80
100/200
250/500
500/1000

Thoughts?
Wedge Rock
Global Moderator
Regular

CC&GTCC # R-7604

« #14 : May 05, 2017 at 10:57 »

Too many $1's, IMO. But go with it.  See how it works.

Smoke (and bathroom) breaks are built in to the schedule, right?  Maybe every 4 blind levels (2 hours), take a 15 minute break.  Gives you a chance to color out chips, count prize money, etc.

That 1/2 --> 3/6 jump is a doozy.  Generally, the whole schedule is pretty quick.  I try not to double blinds more often than two levels (not always possible in the early levels)...  Going any faster and it becomes a turbo...players quickly get short-stacked and feel like they have to push rather than play poker.  It becomes more of a luck game than a skill game.  Over your last four levels, you are jumping 2.5 times between levels.  If I have 50 BB at the 100/200 level, I'm feeling comfortable.  Blinds go up and *snap* like that, I am down to 20 BB.  Now I feel like I'm on the short stack.  But again, try it and see how it works for you.

Dr. Neau
Regular

« #15 : May 09, 2017 at 16:02 »

I'd shorten levels to 20 minutes and have more gradual increases.

(not a real doctor)

jonny5
Player

« #16 : May 10, 2017 at 09:28 »

Thanks everyone. The game played so slowly due to a newcomer and the fact smokers are unable to smoke a cigarette at the same time as each other. But i wont the jackpot that night so it felt good. $2 buy in so only about $14 lol!

ANYWAY.

I'm joining my friends game in a few weeks, I'm curious to see how he sets his games up, as he's been doing it for years. I have a feeling he just divides up even stacks of chips and doubles blinds every 30 mins. Maybe he puts more thought into it than that but I'm looking forward to playing and not having to worry about how the game is playing out!

$10 buy in, my biggest yet!
: [1]
Home Poker Tourney Forums  |  Poker Tournament Structures  |  Poker Tournament Structures  |  Topic: Help a new poker hoster