Texas Poker Supply banner Poker DIY banner Home Poker Tourney Forums
* How To Host a Poker Tournament
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email? Jun 23, 2017 at 21:39
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
:
:

^ 

Use the arrows at the
top to close this sidebar

: [1]
: It Is With Great Sadness...  ( 1601 )
nutN2Lewz
Administrator
Regular
: 3670

« : Apr 19, 2017 at 18:04 »

Hello, I am the nephew of nutN(Barry),

It is with great sadness that I am posting this announcement. Two months ago Barry passed away in a motorcycle accident.

My brother and I grew up watching our uncle spend countless hours with computers. He was the one who introduced us to the best games of the time, Red Alert, Command & Conquer and Unreal Tournament, just to name a few. This passion for computers easily translated into this website and community. He combined his love of playing poker with his friends and hosting tournaments with his knowledge of computers. I no longer saw my uncle playing video games, instead he dedicated his time learning how to code and build HomePokerTourney(and later his Harley!). I know this website, but most importantly this community, meant a great deal to him.

He has asked my brother and I to take care of HomePokerTourney. Knowing how much this meant to him, we plan to keep his legacy alive. Edits are visible weeks before his death. He didn’t give up on this, nor will we.

I’ve interacted with a few of you and it is evident that this website made a big impact among the online community of poker. To the moderators, contributors and daily users, I want to thank you for supporting and helping create what HPT is. I know Barry would want to thank every single one of you personally if he could.

I will be retiring this forum name in memorial of Barry. Hopefully I will start to get to know some of you through an apropos forum name: Nephewz.

Thank you all for making such a big impact on our uncle’s life,
Alex & Brian
« : Apr 22, 2017 at 01:59 Nephewz »
Wedge Rock
Global Moderator
Regular
: 9536

CC&GTCC # R-7604

« #1 : Apr 20, 2017 at 11:00 »

Barry was a kind and generous man, always willing to help.  That's really what this forum is about.

I've met many nearby poker players, Azcat, detroitdad, hachkc, hubbleo, Midnight Rose and Made In Detroit way back in the day.  I've also connected with poker players from far away.  I had breakfast with Seven and his daughter the last time I was in NC.  MID and Seven both connected with Hanahan Stan (also RIP) and said what a great guy he was.  I've corresponded with countless others over the years about poker and not poker.  That's all because of Barry and his legacy.

My biggest regret is never setting aside time to meet Barry.  He lived not more than 20 miles (32.19 km :wink:) from me, although we were separated by an international border.  He was very generous to me in particular, and I should have made time to head over and shake his hand.

Rest in Peace, Barry.  You will be missed, but not forgotten.

« : Apr 20, 2017 at 11:21 Wedge Rock »

Wedge Rock (not a real rock)

Guilty of over-using ellipses...
Midnight Rose
Global Moderator
Regular
: 11900

« #2 : Apr 20, 2017 at 12:03 »

When I found out about Barry's passing, my mind immediately went back to the last time I spoke with him.  We shared a love of Harleys, and we kept a running plan to ride together through Canada (though that never came to pass).  More than anything, I remember how encouraging Barry was when I told him in 2009 that I had to walk away from all things related to poker, so that I could fully focus on returning to college after 30 years.  He (and so many of you) were so supportive and nurturing that even though I've only briefly come back from time to time, I always feel at home whenever I come back.

That might be strange to hear, in any other forum on the interwebz these days; but you old timers know what I mean.  Barry made this place a welcoming place for all of us.  I'm gonna miss that most about him.  But the forum is in good hands with Nephewz.  Alex, thanks for reaching out as you have. 
austin5string
Global Moderator
Regular
: 8206

« #3 : Apr 21, 2017 at 00:14 »

I was so sorry to hear this news. 

Like Rose, I rarely stop in any more, as poker just isn't really part of my life these days.  But from the first time I interacted with folks around here, it felt like a great group of friends. 

I think one of my favorite things about Barry was when he'd put the hammer down on someone being a jerk on the boards.  It was rarely necessary, but as a moderator,  it always made me laugh. 

As Wedge said, Barry was so generous to the community and all of us.  The time and dedication he made for this site is unbelievable and his passing is a huge loss.  I've no doubt that the Nephewz will keep things rollin', though.

RIP Barry.

~A5S

Dude is definitely weird.. If it's a bot, it's a pretty good one..  If it's a person, it's a pretty bad one.. LOL
Jaxen
Regular
: 2365

« #4 : Apr 21, 2017 at 00:15 »

To Alex & Brian,

I had to start a new thread in Off-Topic because the other thread & folder was closed ... I just wanted to express my sadness about what happened. Barry made it possible for us to gather, and because of his resources and the wisdom of others we've all hosted better poker tournaments. But this forum was often never about poker. Many of us stopped in every day to see what our forum-mates were saying. When I logged in and saw the news you posted, my heart skipped a beat. He's the second person I've known to die on a motorcycle in the past month (yes it sounds like Barry's was a couple months ago but I'm just hearing it).

This post isn't turning out to be what I'd hoped ... and I'm a writer for a living. They pay me to have the right things to say at a time like this. All I know is I've been a member of this forum for ~28% of my life.

Rose mentioned getting a poker tournament in Nutn's honor amongst those of you who can gather. If this does happen, let me know and I will send some prizes for those who finish out of the money. They were to be for our final championship event, but it appears we won't make it through our season, as my son got sick last year so I didn't put on the games and the rest of our group has moved away or found other games.

Today was just a bad, bad day

"…if he fails, he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

-- Teddy Roosevelt
Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular
: 13470

« #5 : Apr 21, 2017 at 09:44 »

As I had told Alex when he reached out to me. This was my first foray into online forums whether it be poker related or not. I didn't have the pleasure of meeting Barry. I did chat with him on occasion within the context of the forum. He always seemed like a great dude.

This forum brought me together with some great guys/gals. Some of which I still see on a regular basis.

My first custom poker set was created with the help of a member on this site. I no longer own that specific sunset chip set. I kept the sunset theme and upgraded to a cpc set. Thanks Austin@5String :)

I still check in a few times a week. I even try to post once in awhile to try and get things rolling again. I'd love to see this site try and make a come back :)

B

The Lions will be the death of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jambine
Global Moderator
Regular
: 5572

My Passion

« #6 : Apr 21, 2017 at 10:49 »

RIP Barry.  You will be missed in the Poker community

Ride !

Cash game at Three Creek Ranch
Jambine
Global Moderator
Regular
: 5572

My Passion

« #7 : Apr 21, 2017 at 10:50 »

RIP Barry.  We miss you

Cash game at Three Creek Ranch
Nephewz
Administrator
Player
: 5

« #8 : Apr 22, 2017 at 02:21 »

Thank you everyone for the kind words. Easter wasn't the same without Barry around, but it warms my heart to see the impact of my uncle through this community. I know he's riding along, looking down and smiling. I wish it was under a different set of circumstances, but I am looking forward to getting to know more of this community. I can see why this stuck around!

I moved my original post to this section so members would be able to post as well. I also merged the topic created here, I hope you don't mind.

Really missing you Barry...

« : Apr 22, 2017 at 02:26 Nephewz »
NotFadeAway
Regular
: 4493

4 8 15 16 23 42

« #9 : Apr 22, 2017 at 17:06 »

I'm so sorry to hear this news.  I'm sorry for your family's loss and thank you for keeping this site going.

Take my love.  Take my land.  Take me where I cannot stand.  I don't care.  I'm still free.  You can't take the sky from me.
mike32
Regular
: 235

« #10 : Apr 24, 2017 at 10:34 »

I did not know Barry but I sure appreciate his website. I lurked here for a while and also have met some great people because of this site.

Still a great place to come to for poker related questions even if traffic has slowed down here. In fact Wedgerock used it as a reference this Saturday evening!
Dr. Neau
Regular
: 9678

Dr. Neau is a player of the pokers

« #11 : Apr 24, 2017 at 20:25 »

Aw, man.  I'm so sorry to hear this.  I too owe Barry a lot.  While I have no data to prove it, I'm sure a sizable percentage of my sales over the last 10 years are because of this site.

Glad you're going to keep it going.  While the new post count is way down, I can only assume that it's because we've answered every question there is to ask.

(not a real doctor)

Concentrate on winning your tournament...let Dr. Neau manage it.

http://drneau.com
Dr. Neau
Regular
: 9678

Dr. Neau is a player of the pokers

« #12 : Apr 24, 2017 at 20:45 »

Alex or Brian,

I can't remember if I ever saw a picture of Barry.  Would you mind posting one for us?

(not a real doctor)

Concentrate on winning your tournament...let Dr. Neau manage it.

http://drneau.com
maryfield
Regular
: 693

Ipsa this, you pissy little bitch

« #13 : Apr 24, 2017 at 22:01 »

I'm sorry to hear. I had a couple of interactions with Barry and he just always came off as a class act. My condolences to his family.

\"People like to call. I like to let them\"
 -- Clarkmeister

\"The best way to play poker is to act like Jesus but play like the devil\"
 -- Tommy Angelo
Tex Rex
Regular
: 351

« #14 : May 15, 2017 at 21:57 »

I'm very sorry to hear this!  I got a lot of great info on this site, and I hope I contributed to others.  This was the first poker forum I was ever on.  I never met him, but appreciate what he did for the community.

Tex Rex in Texas
TwoToGo-Grave
Regular
: 3121

« #15 : May 16, 2017 at 07:14 »

I'm very, very sorry to here this news. RIP and prayers to you and your family, for sure.
Zombie
Regular
: 427

« #16 : May 17, 2017 at 17:10 »

This is sad news. Although I rarely log in here anymore, this site has been the greatest source of information anywhere on the internet for those looking to host their first game of poker.

What Barry created here was more than a webpage. It was a legacy that lives on in my games every month.

Thank you, Alex and Brian, for keeping this site online. It stands as a beacon to guide the next generation of poker hosts.

Mediocre poker players never die, they're just blinded away.
Acenoid
Regular
: 419

« #17 : May 18, 2017 at 20:21 »

Geez... so I return after years and have to read this as first post :(
Very sorry to hear about this.

Wedge Rock
Global Moderator
Regular
: 9536

CC&GTCC # R-7604

« #18 : May 19, 2017 at 10:51 »

Geez... so I return after years and have to read this as first post :(
Very sorry to hear about this.

Stick around.  Add some content.  Share your knowledge with new people looking to host a tournament.

Keep Barry's memory alive!
« : May 19, 2017 at 13:46 Wedge Rock »

Wedge Rock (not a real rock)

Guilty of over-using ellipses...
R-Ho
Regular
: 2839

« #19 : May 24, 2017 at 19:51 »

I am very sorry to hear of Barry's passing. He was a good man.
stooks99
Regular
: 1485

« #20 : Jun 06, 2017 at 15:08 »

Holy cow.  Just stumbled back to HPT; this was certainly not the post I expected to see. NutN was the driving force behind a forum that allowed so many of us to connect with people with whom we shared a passion.  Kudos to anyone who helps keep the legacy of these forums alive. 

When you kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.  -- Winston Churchill

www.deadmoneypoker.webs.com
murrman
Regular
: 1958

CC&GTCC R-7871

« #21 : Jun 19, 2017 at 06:41 »

So sorry to here this. Barry's site was a fun place that I visited regularly.

Please accept my condolences.

What happens if you're scared half to death, twice?
: [1]
Home Poker Tourney Forums  |  General Poker Discussion  |  Off-Topic Discussion  |  Topic: It Is With Great Sadness...