Texas Poker Supply banner Poker DIY banner Home Poker Tourney Forums
* How To Host a Poker Tournament
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email? Aug 21, 2017 at 19:29
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
:
:

^ 

Use the arrows at the
top to close this sidebar

: [1]
: Adding antes without losing speed  ( 1173 )
tore
Player
: 53

« : Feb 07, 2017 at 18:54 »

Hi!

I want to add antes to my home game tournaments. My problem is that they are already a bit too slow for my taste (view this thread: http://forums.homepokertourney.com/index.php/topic,29103.0.html).

Are there any good ways to have a fast pace with antes in the game? The players aren't used to antes, so I'm afraid it will be a disaster for the speed! Or is this mission impossible? Roughly half the field only play occasionally.

Thanks

(not really torn)
Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular
: 13474

« #1 : Feb 09, 2017 at 13:09 »

From the sounds of your group I wouldn't introduce ante's. It sounds like it will definitely slow the game down.

If you do decide to go with ante's just have everyone post the ante's in front of them. After the deal have someone in the middle of the table assigned to collect them (usually me).

Even with out experienced group antes are still a pain in the ass.

The Lions will be the death of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tore
Player

« #2 : Feb 10, 2017 at 11:06 »

Even with out experienced group antes are still a pain in the ass.

A bit afraid of that. I have never played in a game with antes. There are players who like antes and claim that it improves the level of play in tournaments (Daniel Negreanu for example), but if the cost is playing less hands per level I'm not sure if it's worth it, but I feel I need to give it a try.

I'll try your suggestion, thanks!

Any more out there? :-)

(not really torn)
Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular
: 13474

« #3 : Feb 11, 2017 at 11:47 »

Honestly, the only way I'm in favor of antes is if there is three or more tables of players.

The Lions will be the death of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tore
Player

« #4 : Feb 11, 2017 at 13:45 »

Honestly, the only way I'm in favor of antes is if there is three or more tables of players.

That actually talks me into it ;-)
Over the last 2 years we've been about 15-25 per tournament, and since I have max 8 players per table we quite often have 3 tables.

This is the blog post that made me want to use antes:

http://danielnegreanu.com/antes-in-tournaments/

The symptoms Daniel describes of a tournament without antes fit quite well with how my tournaments are played. I can't have longer blind levels than I currently use due to time restrictions, but hopefully antes can change the dynamics of the game.

(not really torn)
tore
Player

« #5 : Mar 15, 2017 at 16:45 »

I've tried antes once now in a tournament with 22 players with about 2/3 being experienced. I gave clear instructions in writing that the antes were to be placed in front of each player and only pushed into the pot once the player either made a pre-flop bet or pre-flop fold.

It worked really well! :) I will definitely use antes in my next tournament!

(not really torn)
Wedge Rock
Global Moderator
Regular
: 9543

CC&GTCC # R-7604

« #6 : Mar 31, 2017 at 12:53 »

Although disliked, antes are almost necessary.  Otherwise, you get a 7 hour tournament.

Over time, our players have adjusted to them and even though everyone looks forward to the one No-Ante tournament we do every season, its really not much of an issue for the players and it doesn't slow down the hands per level much if at all.

Wedge Rock (not a real rock)

Guilty of over-using ellipses...
Dr. Neau
Regular
: 9678

Dr. Neau is a player of the pokers

« #7 : Mar 31, 2017 at 19:41 »

Don't deal a card to a play until their ante is out.

Speeds it up really quick.

(not a real doctor)

Concentrate on winning your tournament...let Dr. Neau manage it.

http://drneau.com
: [1]
Home Poker Tourney Forums  |  General Poker Discussion  |  General Poker Discussion  |  Topic: Adding antes without losing speed