Texas Poker Supply banner Poker DIY banner Home Poker Tourney Forums
* How To Host a Poker Tournament
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email? May 26, 2017 at 01:28
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
:
:

^ 

Use the arrows at the
top to close this sidebar

: [1]
: Number of decks being used per table  ( 5107 )
klscable
Player
: 1

« : Mar 09, 2016 at 19:29 »

I run a home game with between 30 and 50 players once a month. A lot of the players want to have two decks per table, with the person behind dealer shuffling next hand for next dealer. Is this something a lot you do?
Dr. Neau
Regular
: 9678

Dr. Neau is a player of the pokers

« #1 : Mar 09, 2016 at 20:25 »

A lot of us do and it works well for us.

Eventually some dude will come on here and say you're an idiot for doing it, but don't listen to him.  Assuming you do it right, it will work very well.

We have the person who just dealt do the shuffling.  They do that while the next hand is being played.  After that hand, they give the cards to the person two seats to their left.  That person at least cuts once and may do an additional shuffle for good measure.

(not a real doctor)

Concentrate on winning your tournament...let Dr. Neau manage it.

http://drneau.com
Jambine
Global Moderator
Regular
: 5566

My Passion

« #2 : Mar 10, 2016 at 09:43 »

......Is this something a lot you do?

I don't.  As the good Dr says, it works if you do it right.  Be aware, it only takes one person not paying attention to create a total sh*t storm and you lose any time you might have saved.

Welcome to the forum BTW

Cash game at Three Creek Ranch
Blaster
Regular
: 1170

« #3 : Mar 10, 2016 at 10:17 »

Eventually some dude will come on here and say you're an idiot for doing it, but don't listen to him.  Assuming you do it right, it will work very well.

We have the person who just dealt do the shuffling.  They do that while the next hand is being played.  After that hand, they give the cards to the person two seats to their left.  That person at least cuts once and may do an additional shuffle for good measure.
I agree, we do it all the time and no problem, smooth.
 As mentioned , the person who just finished the deal pulls back and shuffles while the next hand is being dealt, & we then just have him give the deck to the player on his left, who then simply cuts over for the player on his left ..  

1 bit of advice, Never let anyone convince you to "shuffle ahead" .., it's a cluster *:
 A) A Dealer should not be shuffling their own deal deck.
 B) See A
 C) The shuffler would also need to post blinds, & be first rather than last to act in most of the hand, & may not be able to "get" to the shuffle more often, slowing things more over the course of the game.
 D) See A
 E) If the current dealer is accustomed to just tossing the stub forward upon end of hand, ( "I'm done" ), instead of pulling in all the cards & shuffling, the cards tend to be "all over the table" longer, other players don't realize it's their turn to shuffle, ect ..
 F) See A & E
« : Mar 12, 2016 at 09:40 Blaster »
Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular
: 13461

« #4 : Mar 10, 2016 at 17:09 »

Eventually some dude will come on here and say you're an idiot for doing it, but don't listen to him.  Assuming you do it right, it will work very well.

We have the person who just dealt do the shuffling.  They do that while the next hand is being played.  After that hand, they give the cards to the person two seats to their left.  That person at least cuts once and may do an additional shuffle for good measure.

works great for us. Anytime the table is 6 or more players we go to two decks.

B

The Lions will be the death of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tex Rex
Regular
: 351

« #5 : Mar 13, 2016 at 14:06 »

We use 2 decks similar to the way Dr. Neau does it.  We have 2 designated dealers at each table (in the middle).  While one is dealing a hand, the person on the dealer button is shuffling for the next hand.  The designated dealers don't shuffle though.  When it comes to them, the deal goes to the person on their right.  It works well and keeps the game moving.

One have two designated dealers because 2 of my tables are 8 ft, and dealing cards from one end to the other can be challenging and time consuming.  Having 2 designated dealers eliminates a lot of problems caused by dealing from one end of the table to the next.

Tex Rex in Texas
Nerre
Regular
: 1126

« #6 : Mar 15, 2016 at 03:43 »

A lot of people say it works, but IMO a skilled dedicated dealer generally gives a faster game.

A shuffle will only take a few seconds, dealing the cards takes longer and that time can't be cut by using two decks.
Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular

« #7 : Mar 15, 2016 at 11:08 »

A lot of people say it works, but IMO a skilled dedicated dealer generally gives a faster game.

A shuffle will only take a few seconds, dealing the cards takes longer and that time can't be cut by using two decks.

True...........not all of us can afford dedicated dealers for a home cash game :)

Jambine
Global Moderator
Regular
: 5566

My Passion

« #8 : Mar 16, 2016 at 09:26 »

....not all of us can afford dedicated dealers for a home cash game :)

Yes, and somehow that always ends up being me.....

Cash game at Three Creek Ranch
Nerre
Regular

« #9 : Mar 17, 2016 at 08:20 »

True...........not all of us can afford dedicated dealers for a home cash game :)

There is a difference between "dedicated dealer" and "non-playing dealer".

One concern with using two decks is that most likely nobody will watch the person shuffling, increasing the risk for cheating. Just because a player looks clumsy doesn't mean he is. Skilled mechanics usually try to look clumsy.

An extra cut or shuffle before the deal doesn't completely remove this problem (the two players may be colluding).
Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular

« #10 : Mar 19, 2016 at 17:15 »

[/quote]

There is a difference between "dedicated dealer" and "non-playing dealer".

[/quote]

We don't use either at my game. Self deal, two decks.  I'm not concerned with cheating at my game.

Nerre
Regular

« #11 : Mar 20, 2016 at 14:28 »

I still don't think shuffling the deck is the hard part of being a dealer and I prefer the dealer to be able to do the "dealer tasks" like:

• Making sure blinds have been posted before deal starts
  • Pitch the hole cards to the right person
  • Control the action (make sure players know it's their turn to act)
  • Announce bets and raises
  • Protect the muck pile
  • Correctly burn cards
  • Correctly deal board cards
  • Count the stub
  • Read hands
  • Keep track of the button
etc

But of course, if you have one person handling all these issues I have no problem with that the other players do the shuffling using two decks.
« : Mar 20, 2016 at 14:30 Nerre »
: [1]
Home Poker Tourney Forums  |  Poker Rules  |  How To Shuffle  |  Topic: Number of decks being used per table