Texas Poker Supply banner Poker DIY banner Home Poker Tourney Forums
* How To Host a Poker Tournament
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email? Sep 20, 2017 at 03:25
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
:
:

^ 

Use the arrows at the
top to close this sidebar

: [1]
: Setting Up Bad Beat Jackpot For Monthly Game  ( 2042 )
colossalboom
Player
: 50

« : Jul 07, 2011 at 13:18 »

Hi All,

Our group runs a league tournament every month, for eight months, after which we have a $0.10/$0.20 cash game.  We are thinking about setting up a bad beat jackpot for the cash game and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how we might go about doing it.

I've been reading some past posts on this forum about it and I like the idea that Martini had to collect the spare change for the BBJ rather than high-hand it off at the end of the cash game, and also have no qualifier.  But, I don't know if this would work on a monthly game.  We want to have enough money to win and make it worth while, but a way to win it that would let it grow nicely but not forever.  Having it go maybe two times throughout the 8 month season would be good.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Martini
Regular
: 9999

« #1 : Jul 07, 2011 at 13:46 »

The way we set ours up was, as you mentioned, collect spare change instead of cashing out dimes at the end of the cash game. Then, on the night that the BBJ meets or exceeds $20 the money would go to the person with the best losing hand since the last time the pot was awarded. The reason we did it that way was to ensure that the jackpot always had a reasonable amount in it. If you just go by qualifying hands then someone who gets coolered immediately after the BBJ gets awarded would not win as much as they would have. It also prevents the pot from getting to be too large and makes sure that it gets distributed regularly.

(not a real alcoholic beverage)
Wedge Rock
Global Moderator
Regular
: 9545

CC&GTCC # R-7604

« #2 : Jul 07, 2011 at 14:44 »

That's actually not a bad way to run it, Martini.

You could also have the guys throw in a back each night, but then the problem becomes the regulars pay more than the occasional players.  Martini's way also has the advantage of eliminating the need for change in your cash drawer.

Wedge Rock (not a real rock)

Guilty of over-using ellipses...
colossalboom
Player
: 50

« #3 : Jul 10, 2011 at 19:47 »

I agree, that's a great way to run it, but I'm not sure it will work in a monthly $0.10/$0.20 game.  There might be a couple bucks at most in spare change contributed monthly so it would take some time to get the pot up to $20.  Our league runs 8 monthly games so the season would likely be over before the BBJ hits that amount.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Martini
Regular
: 9999

« #4 : Jul 10, 2011 at 21:07 »

We set it up as $20 being the threshold but that is arbitrary. We also played weekly so it would accumulate in a shorter amount of time calendar-wise. You can set it up so it pays out after 4 sessions if you want so there are two per season. You can guesstimate the accumulation as ~.50 per person per session so if you have 10 players you'd have about $5 after one session.

(not a real alcoholic beverage)
: [1]
Home Poker Tourney Forums  |  General Poker Discussion  |  Poker Ring Games (Cash Games)  |  Topic: Setting Up Bad Beat Jackpot For Monthly Game