Texas Poker Supply banner Poker DIY banner Home Poker Tourney Forums
* How To Host a Poker Tournament
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email? Sep 24, 2017 at 03:03
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
:
:

^ 

Use the arrows at the
top to close this sidebar

: [1]
: Be a good dealer!  ( 18753 )
Sfynkz
Player
: 7

« : Oct 02, 2010 at 03:15 »

I try to practice myself to be a good dealer, because I will make a big tourney in a billard room!  My problems is for counting quickly the amount of chips which was bet by the players and to see quickly the winning hand.

Do you have some tips for that!

Thanks and sorry for my english (My primary language is french),
Maxime Boily
« : Oct 02, 2010 at 09:20 austin5string »
Regular
: 1267

« #1 : Oct 02, 2010 at 05:47 »

to see the winning hand, you should be looking at the board cards and know what the best 2 possible hands are. practice reading the board by dealing yourself 5 cards and finding the nuts and 2nd nuts, so when you're dealing a game, at showdown you will know faster what hands are winners.

this also helps when you're playing the game too, so many players i deal to don't see the flush or straight possibilities on the board and are surprised when they're beaten by one.
Sfynkz
Player
: 7

« #2 : Oct 02, 2010 at 23:08 »

Thank you very much!
Nerre
Regular
: 1126

« #3 : Oct 03, 2010 at 04:09 »

As for counting the bets, practice on cutting the chips in stacks of five. You should be able to make 3-4 stacks of 5 chips in 2 seconds.

Then when a player raises, announce "raise", count the chips fast and then the amount.

As for the winning hand: You don't have to find it fast! The players will most likely see it before you do, but you must compare the hands two at the time, in the correct order, and kill the losing hand of those two. Just ignore the players who are trying to tell you which hand won.

When killing the losing hand, always turn it face down first, then pull it into the muck. This will give the players a few seconds to object and you can turn the hand face up again to check if you misread it.

Oh, right, get yourself The Professional Poker Dealers Handbook. It's well worth the price.
Regular

« #4 : Oct 03, 2010 at 09:43 »

practice cutting chips is pretty important for dealers. they should be able to cut out 1-5 chips out of a stack and be able to break down stacks of chips into stacks of 5(4 for $25 denominations) for counting purposes.
holdemholmes
Regular
: 1889

« #5 : Oct 03, 2010 at 15:15 »

practice cutting chips is pretty important for dealers. they should be able to cut out 1-5 chips out of a stack and be able to break down stacks of chips into stacks of 5(4 for $25 denominations) for counting purposes.
I agree that this is huge...a big timesaver. I watched some video of the dealer training classes at a community college by me, and this was the thing they had the most difficulty with.

"...she set you up with the old check and raise...."
Regular

« #6 : Oct 03, 2010 at 18:01 »

it's second nature for me to do... with my eyes closed i can take a stack of chips and cut out 5, then 4, then 3, then 2..... i can place my hand on top of a stack of more than 20 chips, and pull off exactly 20 99% of the time.

your fingers develop a memory with practice and experience.
bluegarage
Player
: 38

« #7 : Apr 16, 2012 at 17:40 »

"The professional Poker Dealer's Handbook"  Is a great resource.  It has some drills for reading hands as well as for some of the other issues that tend to bite dealers in the ass sometimes; such as breaking out sidepots.

Lumpy50
Regular
: 360

« #8 : Apr 16, 2012 at 19:27 »

Poker Jack posted a link to this dealer training site. It has videos on pretty much everything to do with dealing including cutting chips.
http://truepokerdealer.com/index.html
« : Apr 16, 2012 at 19:32 Lumpy50 »
William
Regular
: 2303

Bloody Marvellous

« #9 : Oct 13, 2012 at 13:27 »

Still waiting for more vids on that site. Explanations on maintaining the bank were invaluable.

I'll play you in any game you name for any amount you can count.
: [1]
Home Poker Tourney Forums  |  Poker Rules  |  How To Shuffle  |  Topic: Be a good dealer!