Texas Poker Supply banner Poker DIY banner Home Poker Tourney Forums
* How To Host a Poker Tournament
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email? Sep 20, 2017 at 03:40
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
:
:

^ 

Use the arrows at the
top to close this sidebar

: [1]
: Tried lowering my stakes  ( 4531 )
mike32
Regular
: 236

« : Oct 21, 2009 at 09:12 »

Had a cash game this weekend in my basement, and I tried lowering the stakes to .25/.50 from the usual $1/$2. A couple guys from the neighborhood that don't play much poker joined in. We do play more than just hold 'em, things like omaha and omaha 8 are typical. I also allowed anything the dealer wanted to call, like 5 card draw (I like) and blind baseball (too much of a lottery). The new guys both lost 2 buy ins and left the earliest, so I am not sure if they will be back anytime soon. That part is a bummer as my goal was to get some new guys interested in regular play. Maybe I should stick to tourneys because of the fixed loss they offer? It is difficult for me to straddle the line between guys who are bored with low stakes and guys who are intimdated by higher ones.

On another note at least I avoided the damn $6 max rake that the local Michigan charity rooms take. I head out to the golf course near my house when I need a card fix, but I find it hard to win with the rake.
Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular
: 13474

« #1 : Oct 21, 2009 at 10:28 »

I would have seriously considered coming out if it was "Dealers Choice".

I have only played Dealers Choice once. It was a good time. He had a list of "authorized" games that could be called. That I'm comfortable with. I'm not comfortable with playing poker games that feel like their being made up on the spot, lol. I'm certainly not investing money into a card game that I haven't played before, even at .25/.50 stakes.

The Lions will be the death of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Martini
Regular
: 9999

« #2 : Oct 21, 2009 at 10:57 »

I'm with DD. For Dealer's Choice nights we have a set list of games that can be called. It is basically any game that is or has been played in the WSOP though we have a couple of exceptions. None of our games uses a wildcard.

(not a real alcoholic beverage)
stooks99
Regular
: 1485

« #3 : Oct 21, 2009 at 11:01 »

Just play HORSE.... It should be manditory that to call yourself. Poker player, you have to be able to sit in a session of horse.... It's God's game.

When you kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.  -- Winston Churchill

www.deadmoneypoker.webs.com
mike32
Regular

« #4 : Oct 21, 2009 at 14:04 »

I honestly do not mind trying new games, especially with a 25/50 cent structure. That may be because I have been playing with many in our group for years and I am used to almost everything they call. My house rules are I do not allow in-between or a game we call trump that is basically a luck-fest.

One of the most common games for us is what we call "double bed" omaha hi-lo. Same as basic hi-lo but with 2 flops, turns and rivers. You pick your board at the end. It is an action game due to all the possibilities, but I have learned it is still best to fold junk starting hands. I am not a huge fan of blind baseball becuase later hands are forced to call bets with unseen cards. I do like 7 stud and 5 stud, but suppose I have alot to learn.
Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular

« #5 : Oct 21, 2009 at 14:31 »

I honestly do not mind trying new games, especially with a 25/50 cent structure. That may be because I have been playing with many in our group for years and I am used to almost everything they call. My house rules are I do not allow in-between or a game we call trump that is basically a luck-fest.

One of the most common games for us is what we call "double bed" omaha hi-lo. Same as basic hi-lo but with 2 flops, turns and rivers. You pick your board at the end. It is an action game due to all the possibilities, but I have learned it is still best to fold junk starting hands. I am not a huge fan of blind baseball becuase later hands are forced to call bets with unseen cards. I do like 7 stud and 5 stud, but suppose I have alot to learn.

I know players that will play any of those crazy games. I'm just not one of them. The craziest I will get is 2-7 triple draw, but I don't really like that either.

Omaha hi/lo, Omaha, and any of the stud games is about it for me. Even though its only .25/.50 I still take it seriously and have no desire to piss away my money.

At .25/.50 stakes what are your min/max buy ins?

mike32
Regular

« #6 : Oct 21, 2009 at 15:54 »

I did not state a min/max buyin, but that is never an issue with these guys anyway. Everyone bought in for $20 and usually rebought $20 more, unless had less than $20 left wihich happened a few times.

Some of our cash games in the past were $1/$2/$3/$4 limit games with a limit bet or raise increase on each street. I like to make it an "any part of" limit game so on the river for instance you can open for anything up to $4 but are not required to make it $4, and can raise for any part of $4 as well. The last few times we did this everyone bought in for $60, and usually rebought for $20 at a time. I enjoy limit poker and feel that for alot of us lower stakes guys no-limit is a killer to the entertainment bankroll.  I like to win as much as the next guy but I am really in it for the fun. I guess that is why I don't play online much. The laughs and bs'ing during the game are as important to me as the poker!

Another thing I have adopted is a round by round approach, where we will play one full lap of whatever the dealer calls. This helps for people who are new to a game, so they don't get another new one thrown at them on the next hand. It also helps for people who have had a few crocktails and keep forgetting what we are playing, although I would NEVER be guilty of such an infraction ;) .

Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular

« #7 : Oct 21, 2009 at 16:02 »

I know you didn't state your buy in. I was just curious. For Limit, that would be fine. No limit, a $20 buy in is horrible. I have a couple of players buy in for 20, but most buy in for 40 or 50. I'm a big advocate of buying in for 100 X's the BB for cash games. Any less, and you have a hard time playing "poker". You just don't have enough behind you. When I go to home games I always take 3 buy ins with me. I rarely, if ever use all three buy ins, but I like to have the insurance behind me.

I have seen players buy in for 20 bucks, and go through 3-5 buyins, spending more money than the guys who bought in for 40. After a bet or two your damn near priced in it, then hell, its only a few more bucks, might as well make the all in call/raise. If you have more behind you,  you will play different. Again, this is for no limit.

I can play fixed limit, but I'm not a fan of it all.

B

Martini
Regular
: 9999

« #8 : Oct 21, 2009 at 17:42 »

I agree with DD. $20 standard buy in for a .25/.50 game is way too short IMO.

(not a real alcoholic beverage)
mike32
Regular

« #9 : Oct 21, 2009 at 19:57 »

I agree 40-60 would be better for a no limit 25/50 game. I should have clarified that although we did play lots of no limit games, we also played many with say a $1 max bet. My thinking was a lower buy in would get some new guys to play who may have been intimidated. I enjoy nl and limit, but I think I am actually starting to prefer limit poker. Sure you can get drawn out on, but the swings are much lower. I guess I consider myself a jack of all trades but certainly a master of none. I know several people who want to play nothing but NL hold 'em, and I am cool with that too. My goal was a "kitchen table" feel to our game, I am not sure I achieved it. Oh well, it's fun to have a place to discuss it.
Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular

« #10 : Oct 22, 2009 at 07:03 »

I agree 40-60 would be better for a no limit 25/50 game. I should have clarified that although we did play lots of no limit games, we also played many with say a $1 max bet. My thinking was a lower buy in would get some new guys to play who may have been intimidated. I enjoy nl and limit, but I think I am actually starting to prefer limit poker. Sure you can get drawn out on, but the swings are much lower. I guess I consider myself a jack of all trades but certainly a master of none. I know several people who want to play nothing but NL hold 'em, and I am cool with that too. My goal was a "kitchen table" feel to our game, I am not sure I achieved it. Oh well, it's fun to have a place to discuss it.

This is a great place to discuss this stuff. You can get 13 different areas of thought. Take what you want from each one and try to apply it to your game.

In my cash games its always "No Limit". I would love to expand my cash games to PL Omaha, Stud, Razz, ect..... but I have had my home regulars say their not comfortable playing anything else. I usually need them to fill out the table.

Wedge, AzCat, and a few others would play, but not enough for a full table.

Anyway's, hope you can make it down on the 7th. Our cash games are a lot of fun. There is good, friendly banter, however we do take it serious. It rarely happens, but if in an all in situation you want to run the board twice, or whatever that is fine. We also sometimes do some prop betting. We have played the 7-2 prop, but that didn't go over to well.

NotFadeAway
Regular
: 4493

4 8 15 16 23 42

« #11 : Oct 22, 2009 at 13:56 »

I wanted to point out that the size of the stakes should be in proportion to the buy in.  If you're playing with a $20 buy in, play lower stakes.  If you want higher stakes, raise the buy in.  Listen to DetroitDad, as he nailed it about why you want 100bbs. 

Oh, and for stooks:  8 game (or, at least 7 game, with TD) >>>>> HORSE...   ;D

Take my love.  Take my land.  Take me where I cannot stand.  I don't care.  I'm still free.  You can't take the sky from me.
assafg17
Player
: 26

« #12 : Nov 04, 2009 at 12:32 »

try playing 25/25 next time.
that gives you 80BB for a $20 buy in which gives you lots more room to play.
: [1]
Home Poker Tourney Forums  |  General Poker Discussion  |  Poker Ring Games (Cash Games)  |  Topic: Tried lowering my stakes