Texas Poker Supply banner Poker DIY banner Home Poker Tourney Forums
* How To Host a Poker Tournament
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email? Sep 20, 2017 at 03:29
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
:
:

^ 

Use the arrows at the
top to close this sidebar

: [1]
: critique the play please  ( 3086 )
Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular
: 13474

« : Aug 05, 2009 at 14:03 »

The game is PL 08, blinds .25/.50. I have been at the table about 1 hour. I bought in for 25, dropped it as low as 15, and then built it back to around 20. I had been playing tight, and hadn't played a hand in about an orbit. This was the best hand I had, it limped around, I thought I would see a flop with it.

My read on the villain was loose aggressive. He was playing about 75% of his hands.

PokerStars Game #31279051132:  Omaha Hi/Lo Pot Limit ($0.25/$0.50 USD) - 2009/08/05 13:48:44 ET
Table 'Tucapel III' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: lane1300 ($23 in chips)
Seat 2: foldmasta ($27.75 in chips)
Seat 3: detroitdad ($19.75 in chips)
Seat 4: mattb8818 ($78.20 in chips)
Seat 5: johka ($35.60 in chips)
Seat 7: BVITO ($46.85 in chips)
Seat 8: kuzzybear ($34.65 in chips)
Seat 9: Gordy2Smordy ($25.75 in chips)
mattb8818: posts small blind $0.25
johka: posts big blind $0.50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to detroitdad [5h Th 9d Ad]
BVITO: folds
kuzzybear: calls $0.50
Gordy2Smordy: folds
lane1300: folds
foldmasta: folds
detroitdad: calls $0.50
mattb8818: calls $0.25
johka: raises $0.50 to $1
kuzzybear: calls $0.50
detroitdad: calls $0.50
mattb8818: calls $0.50
*** FLOP *** [7d 2c 3d]
mattb8818: checks
johka: bets $3.80
kuzzybear: folds
detroitdad: calls $3.80
mattb8818: folds
*** TURN *** [7d 2c 3d] [8c]
johka: bets $11.05
detroitdad: raises $3.90 to $14.95 and is all-in
johka: calls $3.90
*** RIVER *** [7d 2c 3d 8c] [4c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
johka: shows [4h As Ah Tc] (HI: a pair of Aces; LO: 7,4,3,2,A)
detroitdad: shows [5h Th 9d Ad] (HI: a straight, Ace to Five; LO: 5,4,3,2,A)
detroitdad collected $19.75 from pot
detroitdad collected $19.75 from pot
Eleni78 joins the table at seat #6
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $41.50 | Rake $2
Board [7d 2c 3d 8c 4c]
Seat 1: lane1300 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: foldmasta folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: detroitdad (button) showed [5h Th 9d Ad] and won ($39.50) with HI: a straight, Ace to Five; LO: 5,4,3,2,A
Seat 4: mattb8818 (small blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 5: johka (big blind) showed [4h As Ah Tc] and lost with HI: a pair of Aces; LO: 7,4,3,2,A
Seat 7: BVITO folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: kuzzybear folded on the Flop
Seat 9: Gordy2Smordy folded before Flop (didn't bet)

I figured on the flop I was good for the low, with a chance to scoop it. I only ask because he (loser of the hand) "lightly" berated me after the hand was over. Nothing horrible..........

The Lions will be the death of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
luckystraights
Regular
: 3161

« #1 : Aug 05, 2009 at 14:10 »

I'm clueless on PLO hi or hi/lo, but I might learn something.

I fold pre, as you've only got half a hand. You pick up the likley best low draw against a loose villain with probably a wide range, and a very good shot at the best high, I think I would raise and play for stacks on the flop, rather then wait and jam the turn. This may be bad without a made hand in PLO, but you seem to have really good equity IMO.
Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular

« #2 : Aug 05, 2009 at 14:13 »

I fold pre, as you've only got half a hand. You pick up the likley best low draw against a loose villain with probably a wide range, and a very good shot at the best high, I think I would raise and play for stacks on the flop, rather then wait and jam the turn. This may be bad without a made hand in PLO, but you seem to have really good equity IMO.

With only drawing to the low (actually I figured I had the low at this point due to his play) that I was content with pot control and keeping it small. I knew no matter what I put in on the flop he was calling. In PL O8 I have learned to see flops cheap, then play from there. I'm not playing for "stacks" when I'm probably only drawing to half the pot

Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular

« #3 : Aug 05, 2009 at 14:14 »

oh, and I knew it was a loose play Pre Flop. I just watched this guy play so many hands, that I thought if I could hit I would get paid off by the River

B

Midnight Rose
Global Moderator
Regular
: 11900

« #4 : Aug 06, 2009 at 02:41 »

I fold pre, as you've only got half a hand.

Uh, no.  If you'd fold that hand pre-flop under the circumstances that DD describes, you might as well stop playing O8.
luckystraights
Regular

« #5 : Aug 06, 2009 at 04:38 »

Uh, no.  If you'd fold that hand pre-flop under the circumstances that DD describes, you might as well stop playing O8.

well I did I was clueless on hi/lo lol.

Any thoughts on post fllop?
Midnight Rose
Global Moderator
Regular
: 11900

« #6 : Aug 06, 2009 at 12:36 »

well I did I was clueless on hi/lo lol.

Any thoughts on post fllop?

On that flop, if DD had folded there, I would've asked him to give me his hand to let me play it.  In fact, I'd chide him for not *raising* there; unless he was setting a trap, there was absolutely no need to be passive.  He's got 1) a wheel draw, 2) the second-best low (only A4 bests him), 3) the nut flush draw...what else do you want in an O8 hand?

The turn raise all-in was the only way to play it if he was going to continue on.  It was a risk (that he didn't have to take, had he raised on the flop instead of just calling), but Omaha, and especially O8, is a game of draws. 

I remember an HPT game that I was in (it was either O8, or the O8 round of HORSE), where I was low-stacked versus either NFA or TTG-G.  We wound up getting it all in pre-flop; he had a pair of aces and not much else that was draw-worthy; I didn't have a pair in my hand, but I had high and low straightening and flushing cards.  He wound up winning (we both had two pair in the end, his two beat mine), but I definitely had the better drawing hand.

People playing Omaha tend to put too much stock in naked pairs; DD's opponent did, though at least he had a good low draw of his own to back him up.  In fact, I don't blame either of them for playing it as they did; both of their lows were worth pushing, though on that board, I wouldn't have hit it as hard as the villain, with no real good high hand.
« : Aug 06, 2009 at 14:11 Midnight Rose »
luckystraights
Regular

« #7 : Aug 06, 2009 at 13:16 »

At least I was "not wrong" on wanting to raise the flop.

After a night of mixed 6m and fr nlhe, I really wish I could play another game, to ease the pressure / grind. Playing 6m is a really refreshing change though, way better then just playing the same game for the entire month.

Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular

« #8 : Aug 06, 2009 at 13:24 »

You are right Rose, I probably should have raised on the flop. With him firing though, I figured he would keep firing every round and do the betting for me. As I said, I was trying to practice "Pot Control", which we all know can be a problem for me  ::)

: [1]
Home Poker Tourney Forums  |  General Poker Discussion  |  Poker Ring Games (Cash Games)  |  Topic: critique the play please