Texas Poker Supply banner Poker DIY banner Home Poker Tourney Forums
* How To Host a Poker Tournament
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email? Sep 20, 2017 at 03:28
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
:
:

^ 

Use the arrows at the
top to close this sidebar

: [1]
: Tough night at my house Saturday night  ( 2861 )
blindman
Regular
: 306

« : Jul 20, 2009 at 12:41 »

I had told everyone the game will start at 8:30pm, after the little ones are asleep. I had one person show up at 8pm, and then one other showed up at 8:30. The rest showed up at around 8:45pm, but we were still short 3 players, all said they would be there for sure.....not one of them showed up. We got on the phone and found 3 more players in minutes. Anyways the game gets started, and we were playing.25/.50 NL. I could not catch a good starting hand, while a long time friend of mine right beside me was catching cards like you would not believe! All was good with tunes, food, laughs etc. The night went on, and the cards were not treating me well at all. I won a big hand from my friend on my left, when my friend goes to the washroom and when he returns from the washroom he says his chips look different. We all cracked jokes as I just took him for $30.00 minutes before he went to the washroom. Again he said he was serious that his chip stack looked a little light. We chose to ignore him and kept on playing. I called him the next day to ask what he figured happened, if he thought someone would take money from him at a .25/.50 cent game, and he again said he thought he had more chips than what he did when he left the table. Not one of us would ever do such a thing, and I was right beside his chips, and I know nobody touched them. My question is, what would you do if this happened to you? Would you warn him, or just not have him back? Just for the record he bought in for $40.00 and cashed out for $120.00
« : Jul 20, 2009 at 12:46 blindman »

1) In God we trust, all others must pay cash.
2) Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Martini
Regular
: 9999

« #1 : Jul 20, 2009 at 15:26 »

Messing around with someone else's stack is serious business and shouldn't be done even as a joke. By the same token, accusing the table of messing your your stack is equally as serious and you'd better have exact chip counts before you start throwing out statements like your stack being light.

I would discuss the matter with him and assure him that (if this is the case) you saw his chips for the full duration of time that he was gone and that no one touched his chips. Mention to him that his accusations are very serious. Explain that he did lose a big hand and might have made a mistake. Give him a face saving way out of it. Likewise, you'd better be *200% positive* that the chips were actually all there. Could one could have fallen on the ground or under the rail? Did the bank come out exactly correct at the end of the night?

Also, I would not ever underestimate what someone would do just because of the stakes involved. I guarantee you that there are people out there who would cheat a .01/.02 game.

(not a real alcoholic beverage)
R-Ho
Regular
: 2839

« #2 : Jul 20, 2009 at 22:26 »

Matini's offerd a good suggestion; there is a great possibility for mistake here.  I don't see any justification for warning him. It sounds like he was genuinely concerned.

In my twice a week game for similar stakes, I do not worry about leaving the table, and have never had cause to think that someone has messed with my chips.  Can't say that's true for your game though.

I'd chalk it up to him being mistaken, but don't rule out the possibility of a kleptomaniac in your midst. I once went to dinner with a business associate, whom I considered to be a totally 'stand up guy'. But, when we were leaving the restaurant, he grabbed up one of the planters at the entrance and ran toward my car with it, intending to steal the stupid flower pot.  I didn't see that coming.

R-Ho
« : Jul 20, 2009 at 23:13 R-Ho »
hayjamawas
Regular
: 826

« #3 : Jul 29, 2009 at 18:13 »

Messing around with someone else's stack is serious business and shouldn't be done even as a joke. By the same token, accusing the table of messing your your stack is equally as serious and you'd better have exact chip counts before you start throwing out statements like your stack being light.

I would discuss the matter with him and assure him that (if this is the case) you saw his chips for the full duration of time that he was gone and that no one touched his chips. Mention to him that his accusations are very serious. Explain that he did lose a big hand and might have made a mistake. Give him a face saving way out of it. Likewise, you'd better be *200% positive* that the chips were actually all there. Could one could have fallen on the ground or under the rail? Did the bank come out exactly correct at the end of the night?

Also, I would not ever underestimate what someone would do just because of the stakes involved. I guarantee you that there are people out there who would cheat a .01/.02 game.

ive had this happen a while back with the bank being off by $40 in a .50NL game at the end of the night and i still cant explain how it happened...i kept tabs on who bought in and for what and doubled and tripled checked stacks before cashing out but when the last person cashed out, me, i was $40 short.  any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening again.
Martini
Regular
: 9999

« #4 : Jul 30, 2009 at 03:46 »

ive had this happen a while back with the bank being off by $40 in a .50NL game at the end of the night and i still cant explain how it happened...i kept tabs on who bought in and for what and doubled and tripled checked stacks before cashing out but when the last person cashed out, me, i was $40 short.  any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening again.

I summarized my procedures in this thread: http://forums.homepokertourney.com/index.php/topic,17702.0.html

Another thing to keep in mind is that you need to inventory all chips. If you have extra chips at the end of the night that is another way to be short in the bank.

(not a real alcoholic beverage)
hayjamawas
Regular
: 826

« #5 : Jul 30, 2009 at 19:56 »

chips werent the issue, i have labeled chips that are pretty uncommon...thanks for the thread i will take a look and see what i can do to prevent further mishaps.
: [1]
Home Poker Tourney Forums  |  General Poker Discussion  |  Poker Ring Games (Cash Games)  |  Topic: Tough night at my house Saturday night