Texas Poker Supply banner Poker DIY banner Home Poker Tourney Forums
* How To Host a Poker Tournament
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email? Sep 20, 2017 at 03:35
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
:
:

^ 

Use the arrows at the
top to close this sidebar

: [1]
: Limit vs NL buy-ins  ( 2056 )
brianb10
Regular
: 347

« : Apr 19, 2009 at 19:44 »

not sure if this is the right forum for this.  I understand buying in for 100BB in a NL cash game as pretty standard but what about in a limit type game.  I know that rather than the number of BB's you have it is termed in the number of big bets you can make so what is an acceptable buy in then for a limit game?  50 big bets or can you get away with less?  I am trying to develop a limit mixed game that will either be .25/.50 or .50/$1 and I need to figure out what my min/max buy in should be.
Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular
: 13474

« #1 : Apr 19, 2009 at 20:03 »

With NLHE we usually buy in for $40-$50 bucks (usually 40, just easier to pull out two 20's).

With Limit, it shouldn't really matter. I could buy in for 50, you could buy in for 1 million.............who cares.

The Lions will be the death of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Martini
Regular
: 9999

« #2 : Apr 19, 2009 at 22:00 »

If you are playing with a three raise cap then you are going to need a maximum of 12 big bets (4 small bets pre-flop, 4 small on the Flop, 4 big bets on the Turn, and 4 more big bets on the River) per hand unless betting is extended due to uncapped heads up action.

I have heard 25 big bets as pretty standard for a Fixed Limit game so $25 for .50/1. But as DD points out, there is really no problem with anyone buying in for substantially more than that since only 12 big bets can get in per hand.

(not a real alcoholic beverage)
links_slayer
Regular
: 3492

« #3 : Apr 19, 2009 at 22:04 »

I have heard 25 big bets as pretty standard for a Fixed Limit game

This is what 8 or 9 out of 10 of us buy in for when we play Limit Hold Em.
hachkc
MTPL
Regular
: 1520

« #4 : Apr 20, 2009 at 00:18 »

Ditto on 25

I've also heard that 30 really should be the max loss because if you drop more then that you shouldn't be playing anymore.  I don't remember which pro said this.   If you drop this much you, you need to take a break as you are overmatched or not playing correctly.
Martini
Regular
: 9999

« #5 : Apr 20, 2009 at 00:42 »

What stakes do you usually play at for NL? If you are playing .25/.50 NL then I think you would find .25/.50 FL to be too low. You will probably get too many people calling "just another bet" to see the next street and hang in too long with thin draws which will lead to ugly suck outs. I've tried a 4:1 ratio for FL:NL stakes and that's worked out OK for my group. We usually play .25/.50 NL and go with 1/2 FL betting. Sometimes we play .50/1 NL and 2/4 FL.

(not a real alcoholic beverage)
: [1]
Home Poker Tourney Forums  |  General Poker Discussion  |  Poker Ring Games (Cash Games)  |  Topic: Limit vs NL buy-ins