Texas Poker Supply banner Poker DIY banner Home Poker Tourney Forums
* How To Host a Poker Tournament
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email? Sep 20, 2017 at 03:44
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
:
:

^ 

Use the arrows at the
top to close this sidebar

: [1]
: Very small stakes family game questions  ( 3271 )
CHIPZ
Player
: 42

« : Mar 04, 2009 at 06:41 »

Hi,

Having just worked out how to host a tournement I now need to have a small stakes cash game to be played at a family get together! I don't want to run a tournement style game as there will be 10 of us and I want us all to be involved all the time if possible.

The blinds and buy-in must be very low in order that everyone enjoys themselves without having to worry about losing too much. I know this might result in a very loose game but it's just for family and some of them wont have played before.

The buy-in would be 2 and I'd just like to confirm the following would be OK.

My chipset by the way is a 500.
150 white
150 red
100 blue
50 green
50 black.

2 buy in=

10x   0.01 (blue)
15x   0.02 (white)
15x   0.04 (red)
5x     0.10 (green)
2x     0.25 (black)

It would be a 0.2/0.4 game with the blue chips used just for the 0.01 small blind. This would give a starting stack of 50BB which is a bit short but hopefully just acceptable.

Please let me know if you think this will work. Many thanks.

links_slayer
Regular
: 3492

« #1 : Mar 04, 2009 at 07:17 »

IMO 50BB isn't TOO short for a cash game.  I'd prefer to buy-in for more but that's just me.

I would make the blinds 2c/5c and make your red chip 5c (unless they already have denoms on them).  It just seems more smooth(?).
CHIPZ
Player

« #2 : Mar 04, 2009 at 07:59 »

Hi Links,

No my chips aren't numbered so making the red chips 5p as you suggested would make sense. I was just stuck in the mindset that the SB had to be half the BB but I guess this isn't always the case. This would mean 40BB in the starting stack which you think is OK for cash?

10x   0.01 (blue)
15x   0.02 (white)
14x   0.05 (red)
4x     0.10 (green)
2x     0.25 (black)

I'll probably play Limit Hold'em by the way. I know it's a small buy in and Limit is less exciting but just needed to know that it will work really.

As the evening wears on and a few people go to bed I'll probably try making it No Limit for the card players amonst us or even a quick Tourney.

Cheers,

Brian.
« : Mar 04, 2009 at 08:15 CHIPZ »
William
Regular
: 2303

Bloody Marvellous

« #3 : Mar 04, 2009 at 08:41 »

I think there was a bit of miscommunication.

You're playing $0.01 and $0.02 blinds in a FLHE game.

Betting amounts are $0.02 pre- and post flop, and $0.04 after the turn and river.

I'd still go with the $0.05 values for the reds. It does seem to make more sense.

I'll play you in any game you name for any amount you can count.
links_slayer
Regular
: 3492

« #4 : Mar 04, 2009 at 08:42 »

Limit is less exciting

No way!!!!  I'll play limit over NL ANY time!!!!eleven!!!!11!!1!!

Since we're talking limit hold 'em here, starting stacks are less relevant IMO.  When we play $1/$2 Limit the typical buy-in is $50 and that seems to be plenty considering you can only lose a fixed amount per hand.
CHIPZ
Player

« #5 : Mar 04, 2009 at 09:23 »

I think there was a bit of miscommunication.

Yes, my fault probably. Just to clear it up:

The game will be FLHE 0.01/0.02 with a 2.00 buy in for 10 players. I was trying to make sure the SB and BB values were assigned to my white and red chips as I have 150 each of these. Making blues .05 means I can issue only 10 each as I have only have a hundred which leaves me 0.05 short of the starting stack as I've used all the white and reds also but I guess I make it a 1.95 or else a 2.00 and just issue 0.5 in cash with the chips??? This seems to be the best use of my chipset?

I've issued the green and black chips to get the stack up to 2.00 but am guessing these will really only be needed to make change on the table. I have 50 each of these so there will be lots left over for any rebuys.

Hope this has cracked it.

15x   0.01 (white)
15x   0.02 (red)
10x   0.05 (blue)
4x     0.25 (green)
2x     0.50 (black)
« : Mar 04, 2009 at 09:30 CHIPZ »
Martini
Regular
: 9999

« #6 : Mar 04, 2009 at 10:13 »

If the game is going to be fixed limit then I would do the following:

Blue = .01
White = .02
Red = .05
Green = .25
Black = 1

Get all of the lowest denominations into play with the buy ins and balance the rest of the stacks out with whatever is left over.

In a NL game I would not recommend a .02 chip for a .01/.02 blind structure since the BB could just use two .01 chips. But for fixed limit it is going to be easier to make .02 and .04 bets with .02 chips. For a fixed limit game ideally you would just have tons of .02 chips plus some .01 chips just for paying the small blinds but based on your chip set I think that is about the best you can do.

I see where you are going with the red .04 chip. I really prefer everyone having enough .02s to not have to use any other chip except to make change between hands but given your chip set I can see a .04 chip working to cut down on the amount of change being made on the Turn and River.

(not a real alcoholic beverage)
CHIPZ
Player

« #7 : Mar 04, 2009 at 10:48 »

With a fixed limit game though shouldn't the SB be half the initial bet. In my .01/.02 game wouldn't this be 0.005 (for which I have no chip)?

I'm confused now. Will I have to make the blinds .01/.01?

Apologies in advance if I'm missing the obvious, I'm learning as I go along. Many many thanks to everyone here though, it's a wonderful resource and I doubt I'd be organising any games without the help received here!

Once I settle on a structure for this cash game I will set it up as a side game for those knocked out early in my next Tourney as I notice many of you here do that. It was a concern that friends might get bored as I didn't offer re buys but this should help solve that problem.

Going to need another set of chips though!!! Mine are 11.5g dice chips and I think I'll keep these for the cash game and get a different set for the Tournament to avoid cross contamination... and because I quite like these.

http://www.poker-shop.co.uk/shop_cd3_gbp_en.html

Martini
Regular
: 9999

« #8 : Mar 04, 2009 at 10:59 »

With a fixed limit game though shouldn't the SB be half the initial bet. In my .01/.02 game wouldn't this be 0.005 (for which I have no chip)?

I'm confused now. Will I have to make the blinds .01/.01?

Apologies in advance if I'm missing the obvious, I'm learning as I go along. Many many thanks to everyone here though, it's a wonderful resource and I doubt I'd be organising any games without the help received here!

Once I settle on a structure for this cash game I will set it up as a side game for those knocked out early in my next Tourney as I notice many of you here do that. It was a concern that friends might get bored as I didn't offer re buys but this should help solve that problem.

Going to need another set of chips though!!! Mine are 11.5g dice chips and I think I'll keep these for the cash game and get a different set for the Tournament to avoid cross contamination... and because I quite like these.

http://www.poker-shop.co.uk/shop_cd3_gbp_en.html

If you are playing a .02/.04 game, small blind is .01, big blind is .02, all betting is in increments of .02 (i.e. raise the BB to .04, re-raise to .06) for pre-flop and on the Flop. Then on the Turn and RIver the betting is in increments of .04 so someone opening betting must bet .04 then a raise would be to .08, etc. Usually betting is restricted to one bet and three raises except when the action is down to two people then that restriction is removed since any player can just flat call to stop the action.

I don't know what your group is like or how much that money is worth to them but playing at stakes which are too low can have the unintended effect of making pots bigger since nobody wants to fold for "just" a couple cents.

(not a real alcoholic beverage)
R-Ho
Regular
: 2839

« #9 : Mar 14, 2009 at 16:32 »

I don't know what your group is like or how much that money is worth to them but playing at stakes which are too low can have the unintended effect of making pots bigger since nobody wants to fold for "just" a couple cents.

We see this happen.  Players seem to like our 10c/20c blind structure, but a 3 x BB pre-flop raise gets no respect.  If you hope to isolate, you'd better come in with a more than $1.

R-Ho
: [1]
Home Poker Tourney Forums  |  General Poker Discussion  |  Poker Ring Games (Cash Games)  |  Topic: Very small stakes family game questions