Texas Poker Supply banner Poker DIY banner Home Poker Tourney Forums
* How To Host a Poker Tournament
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email? Sep 20, 2017 at 03:35
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
:
:

^ 

Use the arrows at the
top to close this sidebar

: [1]
: crazy .25/.50 cash game last night  ( 5554 )
Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular
: 13474

« : Jun 28, 2008 at 10:40 »

Wow...........what a blast last night. The game was NLHE, .25/.50 blinds, 20-50 buy in. When I show up the game had already been going about an hour or so (my son had a baseball game, they won 9-4, and are 6-0-1).

They have 10 at the table already. The host is expecting a couple more to arrive and asks if I mind waiting for at least one more to show before he splits the tables. Thats fine with me. The Tigers game was on the big screen. I didn't want to play an 11 player cash table. About 15 minutes later a few more guys show up and we fire up a new table.

I buy in for 50.

The second hand that I play in I'm in the BB with A/8 os. First to act raises it to 1.5 (early on I only knew how two of the players played, AzCat, and some Donk that I have played with before, and was very happy he was at my table).

anyways back to the hand.

He gets two callers. I of course call the extra dollar. 6.25 in the pot. The flop comes a/8/6 two suited. I check to the bettor. He throws in 6.50. It folds around to me. I just call. The turn brings an Ace. I check. He bets 18, I push he calls and shows a/6. I double up on the second hand. This is how the betting went all night long.

I take my 50 up to 180.

I look down at K/K. First big pair for me. Donk bets 3.75, one caller (plays a ton of hands). I raise to about 17. Both guys call. Flop comes something like j, 7, 2 rainbow. It checks to me. I bet 40, Donk pushes all in, calling station calls. I have both covered and damn near positive I'm in the lead. I think a minute, maybe trying to talk myself out of the call, I don't know. I call though, have both covered. There is about a 5 dollar side pot.

Donk shows k/q d's. Myself and the calling station elect not to show, but I'm very happy.

The turn and river bring diamonds for his flush. The other guy shows a/j. I win the side pot, lose three quarters of my stack to the donk.

Two hands later I get pocket Q's. I don't want to say I'm on tilt...........but I probably am.

There was a straddle, then a 5 dollar bet from a crazy, I play every hand chick. I raise to 25, she insta pushes. This is was the worse hand I played all night. I don't take 3 seconds to evaluate anything, think anything out, I insta call. She shows pocket aces and they hold up.

I rebuy for 50 more.

I flop a couple of sets, make some great reads on a few players, made some stone cold bluffs to win two huge pots.

I take the 50 rebuy back to about 200 again.

What do you think I get................Friggen Pocket Q's. I say to self.........self, play them better than last time.

I'm in MP. If folds to me. I make it 3. Donk calls, calling station raised to 15 (he wasn't just a calling station, he did like to make stupid big raises as well). I call, donk actually folds which surprises us both.

The flop comes q/7/6. I hit top set. He bets out 25. I push all in, he insta calls and shows aces. My set holds up and I win a 125 pot.

The betting stayed crazy all night long. My chips were on a roller coaster for awhile.

At 2 am, I cashed out for $456.00, for a $356.00 profit. Left the odd 6 for the house (very good food).

Now, on my way home. It raining like fricken crazy. Speed limit is 70. My speed is between 50-60. I was on I-94 heading East. I was in the fast lane. There was a car in the middle lane, next to me.

A deer crosses the highway from my drivers side. I tap my breaks, miss hitting the deer by about 2 feet. The car in the middle lane wasn't as lucky. I slowed to about 40 at this point. I saw the deer spin from being struck, they lose their drivers side headlight, but I see them pull over to the shoulder. I wanted to stop, but just couldn't. I immediately said a prayer for them, then for myself. Two exits later as I'm getting off I see Police heading that direction in the West bound lane.

The pocket Q's was the hand I played the worse. Over all I played well. I was making good reads on people. As crazy as the betting was, I know I folded the best hand a few times. I wasn't getting the right odds, or bad position, ect....

This was mostly a 5-7 player table. Which is exactly what I like to play in a cash game.

I only used the check raise a couple of times. Once on a bluff (worked awesomely) and once with the nuts. I got paid off very nice.

Sorry for so long, I wanted to share my evening.

AzCat played for a bit. He can confirm how crazy it was.

B
« : Jun 28, 2008 at 11:07 Detroitdad »

The Lions will be the death of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regular
: 1267

« #1 : Jun 28, 2008 at 11:03 »

sounds like how mine is probably going to be tomorrow. hosting my first 25/50cent NL game with my Zombie chips. a couple of guys are the type who go on maniac tilt if they lose a hand they thought they should have won. i'm talking playing blind, blind raises, straddles, and lots of rebuys.
Midnight Rose
Global Moderator
Regular
: 11900

« #2 : Jun 28, 2008 at 11:23 »

Wild ride hon (literally at one point).  Glad you came out ok on the road as well as in the game.
Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular

« #3 : Jun 28, 2008 at 13:23 »

sounds like how mine is probably going to be tomorrow. hosting my first 25/50cent NL game with my Zombie chips. a couple of guys are the type who go on maniac tilt if they lose a hand they thought they should have won. i'm talking playing blind, blind raises, straddles, and lots of rebuys.

Good Luck, my Zombies were a big hit. I will be using mine again on the 12th for AzCat's TOC.

Wild ride hon (literally at one point).  Glad you came out ok on the road as well as in the game.

Thanks, the road was definitely a better suck out.

The game was a blast. I have definitely never played in one that crazy before. I loved it.

B

sharky
Player
: 37

« #4 : Aug 07, 2008 at 11:57 »

wow, great story.  poor deer.  poor car.
glad you made it home okay.

Wild night of cards!!
Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular

« #5 : Aug 07, 2008 at 12:53 »

wow, great story.  poor deer.  poor car.
glad you made it home okay.

Wild night of cards!!

The only sad thing about the deer is it didn't end up on my grill.

Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular

« #6 : Dec 19, 2011 at 16:51 »

figured I would bump an old thread instead of firing up another one.

Played in a very lively cash game on SAT. night. I've played something like 8 sessions there. I've lost a total of 1 buy in.

11 players to start. We played two tables, 1 mixed games, 1 NLHE. We did this for about 3 hours. A couple of dudes lost their money and we combined and played RxR NLHE and PLO.

.25/.50 blinds, 50 max buy in. We played until about 2 am. 4 players made a profit (one was only 19 bucks) out of 11. My buddy bought in once, left with 750. I lost my first buy in in 30 minutes. Recovered and cashed out for 515. Lots and lots of action.

I had two Nut flushes hit the turn, and got paid off huge.

Flopped the 2nd nut flush draw. About 20 bucks in the pot. Dude bets 15. I've got a hundred behind me, he has about the same. I call, its heads up.

Turn brings the Ace of Diamonds giving me the nut flush. He bets 45. I call.

River brings air............he pushes, I call and win. He shows a flopped two pair, lol.

20 minutes later I flop the 2nd nut flush. I make a small bet (10 bucks into a 10 dollar pot). I get two callers.

Turn is nothing. I bet 30, and get the same two callers.........Now, I am worried about losing to the Ace high flush, but f$%k it.

River brings the Ace of Diamonds again for me. Validating that I have the best hand yet again. I bet 45 bucks.

First dude calls, 2nd dude tanks for a minute. Says....I can't get away from my "STRAIGHT", lol. He calls........

Milo
Regular
: 1862

Money is bisexual

« #7 : Dec 19, 2011 at 19:49 »

I have GOT to come down to Ypsi . . . found a home game near home that is similar to this, not quite as much $$$ in play, but mostly populated with Stock broker types . . . let it rain.

TANSTAAFL
Wedge Rock
Global Moderator
Regular
: 9545

CC&GTCC # R-7604

« #8 : Dec 20, 2011 at 18:14 »

figured I would bump an old thread instead of firing up another one.

Played in a very lively cash game on SAT. night. I've played something like 8 sessions there. I've lost a total of 1 buy in.

11 players to start. We played two tables, 1 mixed games, 1 NLHE. We did this for about 3 hours. A couple of dudes lost their money and we combined and played RxR NLHE and PLO.

.25/.50 blinds, 50 max buy in. We played until about 2 am. 4 players made a profit (one was only 19 bucks) out of 11. My buddy bought in once, left with 750. I lost my first buy in in 30 minutes. Recovered and cashed out for 515. Lots and lots of action.

I had two Nut flushes hit the turn, and got paid off huge.

Flopped the 2nd nut flush draw. About 20 bucks in the pot. Dude bets 15. I've got a hundred behind me, he has about the same. I call, its heads up.

Turn brings the Ace of Diamonds giving me the nut flush. He bets 45. I call.

River brings air............he pushes, I call and win. He shows a flopped two pair, lol.

20 minutes later I flop the 2nd nut flush. I make a small bet (10 bucks into a 10 dollar pot). I get two callers.

Turn is nothing. I bet 30, and get the same two callers.........Now, I am worried about losing to the Ace high flush, but f$%k it.

River brings the Ace of Diamonds again for me. Validating that I have the best hand yet again. I bet 45 bucks.

First dude calls, 2nd dude tanks for a minute. Says....I can't get away from my "STRAIGHT", lol. He calls........

I need names of the fish guilty parties.

Wedge Rock (not a real rock)

Guilty of over-using ellipses...
Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular

« #9 : Dec 20, 2011 at 19:07 »

Marc was one of course. Tom was the dude that went through about 6-7 buy ins.

The second caller that hit the straight on my second flush hand was new to Mikes. I hope he comes back.

He is of course invited to my DEC 30th game, lol.

Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular

« #10 : Dec 20, 2011 at 19:08 »

Kevin A cleaned up, left with 750. combine we left with almost 1300 of the 1500+ on the table, lol.

Wedge Rock
Global Moderator
Regular

CC&GTCC # R-7604

« #11 : Dec 21, 2011 at 12:04 »

Yeah, Kevin's style would kill at a game like that.

mike32
Regular
: 236

« #12 : Dec 21, 2011 at 14:26 »

The amount of chips sold that night was slightly overwhelming, but I still managed to have a good time. Your buddy Kevin did have a hell of a night, but more importantly to me was a good guy and you can let him know he is welcome back anytime.
I guess having too many players (11) is a good problem but the game would have been slightly better imo with 9 guys who all wanted to play mixed games. One of the problems with running a game is you usually have to invite 20 to get 8.
Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular

« #13 : Dec 21, 2011 at 15:15 »

Yeah, Kevin's style would kill at a game like that.
[/quote

He actually played relatively tight, solid abc poker for the most part.

At one point I was feeling bad for taking all of Marc's money. He's a good kid. He just sucks at poker (thinks he's good though, that's the problem) so I talked him out of an all in call on the river (I had the best hand). He had about 75 invested, had another 60 behind him. I talked him out of calling by even offering to roll my hand after he folded. He still almost called with 2nd pair. He folded, I showed him the winning hand and saved him a buy in.

I had already taken about 2 hundy from him alone it seemed.

Wedge Rock
Global Moderator
Regular

CC&GTCC # R-7604

« #14 : Dec 21, 2011 at 16:35 »

The amount of chips sold that night was slightly overwhelming, but I still managed to have a good time. Your buddy Kevin did have a hell of a night, but more importantly to me was a good guy and you can let him know he is welcome back anytime.
I guess having too many players (11) is a good problem but the game would have been slightly better imo with 9 guys who all wanted to play mixed games. One of the problems with running a game is you usually have to invite 20 to get 8.

Any bank errors? Or did it come out square?

Regular
: 1267

« #15 : Dec 21, 2011 at 22:11 »

One of the problems with running a game is you usually have to invite 20 to get 8.

I hear you on that one.... harder for me because our games are on payday after work - 3am.
mike32
Regular

« #16 : Dec 22, 2011 at 10:40 »

I was $40 short at the end, which really bothered me. No one had access to cash and chips but me, so I really got no one to blame but me. I was running around like a headless chicken at first making coffee, selling chips blah blah blah. Plus to be honmest I was boozing it up a little, which I enjoy during a night of poker.

Kevin insisted on sliding me $40 as I took the hit when I was last to cash out. I have been thinking about this and will take even more steps to make things come out right. I am a CPA so I shpould be able to handle this, right?
Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular

« #17 : Dec 22, 2011 at 12:15 »

I was $40 short at the end, which really bothered me. No one had access to cash and chips but me, so I really got no one to blame but me. I was running around like a headless chicken at first making coffee, selling chips blah blah blah. Plus to be honmest I was boozing it up a little, which I enjoy during a night of poker.

Kevin insisted on sliding me $40 as I took the hit when I was last to cash out. I have been thinking about this and will take even more steps to make things come out right. I am a CPA so I shpould be able to handle this, right?

he slid 30 to ya, I covered the other 10.......just sayin

Detroitdad
MTPL
Regular

« #18 : Dec 22, 2011 at 12:16 »

When I host on the 30th (any HPT'ers are welcome btw, PM me) I will be hammered up. However, my bank will still be accurate   :D

Wedge Rock
Global Moderator
Regular

CC&GTCC # R-7604

« #19 : Dec 22, 2011 at 15:39 »

When I host on the 30th (any HPT'ers are welcome btw, PM me) I will be hammered up. However, my bank will still be accurate   :D

...his deal, that's another story.

mike32
Regular

« #20 : Dec 22, 2011 at 16:45 »

Thats right DD slid me a $10. Also his dealing has been fine, I somehow managed to flop the first, second and fourth cards after the burn once that evening!
: [1]
Home Poker Tourney Forums  |  General Poker Discussion  |  Poker Ring Games (Cash Games)  |  Topic: crazy .25/.50 cash game last night