Texas Poker Supply banner Poker DIY banner Home Poker Tourney Forums
* How To Host a Poker Tournament
Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email? Mar 26, 2017 at 14:59
Login
Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?
Username:
Password:

^ Login with username, password and session length

Use the arrows at the
top to close this sidebar

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Thoughts about HPT Heads Up Round Robin  (Read 2985 times)
Cesar
Regular

« on: Mar 16, 2008 at 07:09 »

I like a lot Heads Up HoldīEm No Limit. But in general people I know doesnīt like it. Just I host one 16 players double elimination tournament.

But I have some ideas about it.

In the home page there are some kind of tournaments (single elimination, double elimination, round robin...) and other like quadruple elimination of Dr.Neau

In the round robin of the HPT every player plays against each other once, and best qualify to double elimination play-off. I think itīs a great idea...but:

-In America big sports (NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA) is a regular season and afterwards play-off. In Europe people doesnīt understand that system and most people think that winner of regular season is the best player-team because of europe soccer leagues (itīs just a double round robin where a match won is 3 pts, tied 1 pt and loss 0 pts...the best team at the end of double round robin is the champion and thereīs no postseason)

-In a heads up (or poker in general) where luck is substancially important a postseason isnīt a good method but the play-off arre long series

-If a postseason is added, I think one or two rounds of wild cards where bests players are bye:

Example: There are a 15 player round robin. Instead the 8 qualifier players advanced to a double elimination is another option a play-off like this:

Wild Card 1: 5th vs 8th

Wild Card 2: 6th vs 7th

The 2nd round:

Wild Card 3: 4th vs best winner of 1st round

Wild Card 4: 3rd vs worst winner of 1st round

Semifinals

2nd vs best winner of 2nd round

1st vs worst winner of 1st round

People that I talked other time prefers double elimination than single elimination, but thereīs no difference here between 1st and 8th and a first round loss in double elimination drives you to a very long drawsheet

And the final thing is the tiebreaker you can use in round robin. You canīt use strength of schedule because is the same for everybody and you canīt use difference in victories. You may use:

1st: Head to head between players tie

2nd: Strength of victory (average record that players you beat)

There are some ideas

There are more people busted in a tournament with pocket aces than seven-deuce offsuited
Cesar
Regular

« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2016 at 11:07 »

It is funny but exactly the same system I proposed a few years ago, it has been adopten by WNBA

There are more people busted in a tournament with pocket aces than seven-deuce offsuited
Pages: [1]
Print
Home Poker Tourney Forums  |  Poker Tournament Structures  |  Other Poker Tournament Structures  |  Topic: Thoughts about HPT Heads Up Round Robin